Thread: Dirt cheap tablet or netbook for writing away from home

1,850 in 1,016 posts

Dirt cheap tablet or netbook for writing away from home

I want something I can use to write with away from home, for those days when I'd rather just chill at the Barnes and Noble next to work rather than going home or want to write during my lunch break, ect. It doesn't need to be good, just something that I can either add a decent keyboard to (for a tablet) or an old/used netbook. I need to be able to connect to the net so I can do the research that often accompanies writing, but beyond that it doesn't need to be fast or anything. I'm thinking a netbook might be a better idea since I saw some used ones from sellers with good ratings on amazon, and would prefer to be able to use word or the open office equivalent. for a tablet, I could always use google's internet based word equivalent, but I don't think that would be as reliable (and I'd rather not put my writings online as far as my book is concerned, even if it is under a password protected account).

Just thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions or experience with cheap tablets/netbooks as its not something I'd done much research on. Mainly I just want to avoid buying a COMPLETE pos that will die in a year and I'd prefer to spend under $100. The higher I go above that, the longer I'll have to wait to get one.

Thinking of going with this because its not even $70 used including shipping, the seller as a good rating, and includes a new 6 cell battery:
    http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Ideapad...ywords=netbook
    RadioRes: A monthly radio show focusing on recent releases

"Movies made for "everybody" are actually made for nobody in particular. Movies about specific characters in a detailed world are spellbinding because they make no attempt to cater to us; they are defiantly, triumphantly, themselves." -Roger Ebert

"your life amounted to no more than one drop in a limitless ocean!" "Yet what is any ocean but a multitude of drops?"- Cloud Atlas

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Also fuck video games.

4,921 in 3,040 posts
    Generally dirt cheap means dirt quality, so I say, good luck.

Shit. I don't want to use my 20k post for this thread. Um...

And maybe this big ass cat in Florida.

And this song I still like.

Sorry, Res. Not really. Thread is yours again after donut boobie.

Last edited by Amok; 06-02-2016 at 08:44 PM.
    "First time we throw stuff at them, they'll tear gas us for no reason." --Ferguson mongoloid
    "Anybody who asks for a 'safe space' or a 'trigger warning' should be immediately expelled." --Milo Yiannopolous

3. Eddy[IM]Martijn (06-09-2016),resevil239 (06-02-2016)

1,850 in 1,016 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Amok View Post
    Generally dirt cheap means dirt quality, so I say, good luck.
    Yeah, I was more wondering if someone was aware of a decent tablet that was going for cheap (I vaugely remember seeing amazon selling theirs pretty cheap, though maybe it was an E-reader) or a particular model of netbook that might be cheap if I find it used.

It was worth posting this thread just for your response though, lol

"Movies made for "everybody" are actually made for nobody in particular. Movies about specific characters in a detailed world are spellbinding because they make no attempt to cater to us; they are defiantly, triumphantly, themselves." -Roger Ebert

"your life amounted to no more than one drop in a limitless ocean!" "Yet what is any ocean but a multitude of drops?"- Cloud Atlas

Also fuck video games.

4,921 in 3,040 posts
    I'll ask around at work and see what others have.
    "First time we throw stuff at them, they'll tear gas us for no reason." --Ferguson mongoloid
    "Anybody who asks for a 'safe space' or a 'trigger warning' should be immediately expelled." --Milo Yiannopolous

1,850 in 1,016 posts
    Just thought I'd update this, but I found an excellent solution:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...nto-a-laptop-f

I backed it last week. Basically its just provides a laptop interface for your phone, which is the perfect solution for me. I'm actually really excited to get this, its a shame I have to wait till February at the earliest. Not only did it not cost a ton, but now I'll be able to write away from home, and especially during my hour lunch break, without having to spend way more to get another device I'll need to upgrade eventually.

Also fuck video games.

5,834 in 3,366 posts
    i bought a cheap ass netbook earlier this year. within 2 weeks i threw it in the trash. bought my macbook a few months ago and haven't looked back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee
    ill let a girl eat my ass if she wants.